When buying shoes we recommend spending a little more for that extra quality. A good pair of leather shoes can last for many years with the proper care.
But how do you care for the shoes?
It’s not hard or complex, it just takes a little bit of time and dedication. Once you master the shoe caring technique it will become an essential part of your routine, like washing your clothes or cleaning the apartment.
The video above is from the shoemaker Jose & Markham and it covers all the basics. If you want a more detailed instructional video check this one out.
This is what you do:
– Remove the laces.
– Insert shoe tree into the shoe to stretch out the leather and making the process easier.
– Use a brush to remove any dirt from the shoe, maybe use a toothbrush on the stitching by the sole.
– Apply leather cleaner with a cotton towel or an old t-shirt, this will clean the leather allowing the polisher to work better.
– Pick a polisher that matches your shoe colour. Pro tip: Never go darker. Apply a generous amount all over your shoe with a brush or a soft cloth. If you have lighter coloured stitching, try to avoid them to prevent staining.
– Let the shoes sit for approximately 20 minutes or so.
– Take a soft cotton cloth and polish the shoes to a shine.
– Give the shoes a once-over with a finishing brush. That should be a brush used only for this finishing touch.
– Your shoes look as good as new. Grab a drink, you deserve it.